“Vintage is the new cool”
The fashion industry has taken a major leap towards bringing iconic styles back from time. We may have often seen celebrities and influencers dressed up in clothes that certainly doesn’t belong to this century, yet chic. This is because fashion works in cycles and the adaptation of old-school as current aesthetic is being accepted by a wide range of people. Here are some classic fashion trends from the ’70s, 80’s and 90’s that made their comeback in the 21st century: –
- Denim-On-Denim: Denim was basically invented in the late 19th century and but became popular in the mid-20th century. Denim is something that can never go out of style. Though denim on denim is rather a risky take, but knowing how to pull off this look without going Britney/Justin can take you to places.
- Oversized Sweats: Oversized and slouchy sweatshirts became popular in the 1980s. From Jennifer Beals’s iconic look in Flashdance in the ’80s to our pop queen Ariana Grande, oversized sweats are everybody’s favorite. As style should be effortless and formerly comfortable, one can never go wrong with oversized sweatshirts as they are breezy and not so body-hugging.
- Wide Leg Pants: Wide leg pants is definitely the ‘it’ thing. Originally the style is derived from the ’70s which was actually inspired from the early 1900s. There is a variety of styles in wide-leg pants such as boyfriend jeans, mom jeans, palazzo pants, culottes, flared and sailor pants. Whether it’s a beach look or a fancy dinner date, you can never go wrong if you have the right pair of these.
- Plaid Skirts: Plaid is the fashion inspiration of the 90’s. Of course, we can never forget Alicia Silverstone’s iconic look for role Cher in the movie Clueless neither can we stop obsessing over Jennifer Aniston’s iconic looks as Rachel Green. Plaid is more of a classic than trendy. We have experienced this style is emerging over the past few years. Style it with either button-down shirt or chunky knit cardigan and you can definitely rock your winter or fall look.
- Biker Shorts: Biker shorts were a major hit in the 80’s. They were worn by everybody from Princess Diana to Sarah Jessica Parker to Madonna. Kim Kardashian has experimented with this piece in almost every outfit and somehow given us the OG goals. Many brands have introduced them on the ramp such as YSL, Fendi, Fenty Puma by Rihanna, Chanel and others. Whether it’s the facile airport look or gym look or simply running errands, with biker shorts you’re always good to go.
- Fanny Packs: This is the most unique but convenient fashion statement. This can be literally styled with any clothing. The Dwayne “ The Rock” Johnson meme with the fanny pack from the 90 gives us the proof of its prior popularity. Though, it has been adopted by fashionistas and influencers including Kendall Jenner, Jennifer Lopez, and more, over the years due to its snazzy look.
- Chunky Shoes: Last but not the least in our list is chunky sole shoes. There’s been a craze for chunky sneakers but actually its origin is way back in the ’90s. To be honest, this leisure piece is way comfier than wearing heels. Brands like Yeezy, Fila, Balenciaga, Sketchers and many more have reintroduced ‘dad sneakers ’ to us. Hadid sisters adding are few of many style icons adding cred to its popularity with their amazing street fashion.
As it is said when in bind go back in time, which can be witnessed by all these fashion trends relapsing from time to time. One can always step-up their game, keeping in mind fashion is not always following the latest trends, rather creating your own statement.
Check out more such content at: https://gogomagazine.in/category/lifestyle/