- What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a general term for several disorders that cause nervousness, fear, apprehension, and worrying. These orders affect how we feel and behave and can cause physical symptoms.
Anxiety is your body’s natural response to stress.
If lasts longer than 6 months, then it is diagnosed as anxiety disorder
Anxiety affects more women than men.
- Some of the Anxiety symptoms are-
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- Increased awareness of immediate surroundings
- Burst of energy
- Trouble concentrating
- Difficulty in falling asleep
Sometimes anxiety helps us, while walking in dark alley, we feel anxious hence our concentrating level increases.
A bit of anxiety would gives us energy too when we want to finish our work
- Anxiety disorder is present on most of the days of the person’s life
- Individuals with anxiety disorder experience anxiety attack most days, every day or even multiple times a day
- It comes and goes
If your anxiety is sporadic and getting in the way of your focus or tasks, there are some quick natural remedies that could help you take control of the situation.
- Breathing technique – a series of several short breaths (inhale around 5 times, long exhale 1 time). Repeat this 6-10 times.
It makes body and mind connection. It relaxes the body and makes it calm
- The empty box technique– an empty box for the “worries and concerns” that can be put away.
Imagine an empty box and put all the worrisome thoughts into it and put the lid on the box and then put that box away
- Label technique– using labels such as “chill out”, “relax”, “it’s okay” and so on written on pieces of paper that are put on visible places.
- Thought replacing technique– whenever you get a negative thought in your mind, make it stop and then replace it with a positive thought.
Create a positive statement.
For example- if you fail to complete a task on a day rather than thinking that I am useless I can’t complete a task, think it’s okay that I failed today. Everybody has some bad days but this does not determine who I am, I will complete the task tomorrow.
- Problem-solving acceptance– rather than ignoring the problems in life or avoiding it, one should boldly accept the problem and try to find the solution and end the problem. Running away from the problems just makes you weak and puts you in a denial situation.
- Diary writing– writing about your thoughts and feelings in a notebook helps you to accept what you feel and will calm down your mind and heart.
- Music therapy– listening to various soothing music helps you to feel relaxed.
Also listening to soothing sounds like rain drops, ocean waves, wind, thunderstorm etc. helps you to cool down.
- Mindfulness therapy– It is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we are doing and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going around us.
Simple meditation and dancing helps us in this situation
Walking, cooking, washing dishes, eating and drinking also is a part of mindfulness therapy which helps us in anxious situation.
Try supplements or change your diet
Changing your diet or taking supplements is definitely a long-term strategy. Research shows certain supplements or nutrients can help anxiety reduction.
- lemon balm
- omega-3 fatty acids
- green tea
- valerian root
- kava kava
- dark chocolate (in moderation)
Anxiety is one of the most common forms of mental illness. Anxiety can affect your health. If you suffer from an anxiety disorder, research suggests that you may run a higher risk of experiencing physical health problems, too. So when you manage your anxiety, you’re also taking care of your physical health.
Most people who seek treatment experience significant improvement and enjoy an improved quality of life.
Whether you have everyday stress, everyday anxiety or an anxiety disorder you can learn important strategies to help you manage and move forward.
Check out more such content: