Praveen Yadav | Jul 25, 2021 | 0
ROLE OF SUPPLEMENTS IN BODYBUILDING
Bodybuilding supplements are dietary supplements commonly used by those involved in bodybuilding, weightlifting, mixed martial arts, and athletics for the purpose of facilitating an increase in lean body mass. The intent is to increase muscle, increase body weight, improve athletic performance, and for some sports, to simultaneously decrease percent body fat so as to create better muscle definition. Some of the frequently used supplements are listed below.
- Whey protein
- Branched chain amino-acids
1) WHEY PROTEIN
Milk is made of two proteins, casein and whey. Whey protein can be separated from the casein in milk or formed as a by-product of cheese making. Whey protein is considered a complete protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids. It is low in lactose content.
Benefits of whey protein –
- Aids in weight loss.
- Anti-cancerous properties.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Whey protein can improve the immune response of children with asthma.
- Reduces blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases.
- Digests faster so recommended after workouts.
- An easy alternative to fulfill protein requirements.
Possible side effects –
Some people who are allergic to milk may be specifically allergic to whey. In moderate doses, whey protein does not typically cause any adverse events. However, consuming very high doses can cause:
- stomach pains
- reduced appetite
Creatine is a natural substance that turns into creatine phosphate in the body. Creatine phosphate helps make a substance called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP provides the energy for muscle contractions.
The body produces some of the creatine it uses. It also comes from protein-rich foods such as meat or fish.
The most researched supplement has many benefits:-
- Helps muscle cells produce more energy.
- Creatine can stimulate several biological processes that help in adding muscle size.
- Improves high-intensity exercise performance.
- Speeds muscle growth.
- May lower blood sugar levels and fight diabetes.
- May reduce fatigue and tiredness.
- Safe and easy to use.
Possible side effects –
- Weight gain
- Breathing difficulty
- Kidney problems
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach upset
3) BRANCHED CHAIN AMINO ACIDS
There are 20 different amino acids that make up the thousands of different proteins in the human body.
Nine of the 20 are considered essential amino acids, meaning they cannot be made by your body and must be obtained through your diet. Of the nine essential amino acids, three are the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs): leucine, isoleucine and valine.“Branched-chain” refers to the chemical structure of BCAAs, which are found in protein-rich foods such as eggs, meat and dairy products. They are also a popular dietary supplement sold primarily in powder form.
Health benefits of BCAA’s
- Increases muscle growth:-One of the most popular uses of BCAAs is to increase muscle growth. The BCAA leucine activates a certain pathway in the body that stimulates muscle protein synthesis, which is the process of making muscle:
- Decreases muscle soreness:- Some research suggests BCAAs can help decrease muscle soreness after a workout.
- Prevents muscle wasting or breakdown:- BCAAs can help prevent muscle wasting or breakdown. Muscle proteins are constantly broken down and rebuilt (synthesized). The balance between muscle protein breakdown and synthesis determines the amount of protein in muscle.
- Benefits people with liver diseases.
Possible side effects –
Taking BCAA supplements is generally safe and without side effects for most people. Studies on the safe upper intake levels of BCAAs are rare, but studies report that total BCAA intakes between 15–35 grams per day seem generally safe
.However, BCAA supplements are not recommended for those suffering from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. In addition, individuals with a rare congenital disorder called maple syrup urine disease should limit their intake of BCAAs because their bodies cannot break them down properly.
4) MULTI VITAMINS
Multivitamins are supplements that contain many different vitamins and minerals, sometimes alongside other ingredients As there’s no standard for what constitutes a multivitamin, their nutrient composition varies by brand and product. Multivitamins are also called multiminerals , multis, multiples, or simply vitamins. They’re available in many forms, including tablets, capsules, chewable gummies, powders, and liquids.
Most multivitamins should be taken once or twice a day. Make sure to read the label and follow the recommended dosage instructions.
Thirteen vitamins and at least 16 minerals are essential to your health.Many of them aid enzyme reactions in your body or function as signaling molecules or structural elements. Your body also needs these nutrients for reproduction, maintenance, growth, and regulation of bodily processes.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF MULTIVITAMINS
- Increased energy levels.
- Improves mood.
- Maintained muscle trngth.
- Keeps heart healthy.
- Reduces stress and anxiety
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS-
Multivitamins are not expected to cause serious side effects when they are taken as directed. Some possible side effects may include constipation, diarrhea; nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, upset stomach; black or dark-colored stools or urine; temporary staining of the teeth; headache; or unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.
5) PRE WORKOUTS
Pre-workout supplements are often designed to support energy, focus, and endurance during your training. Typically found in powder form, pre-workouts are a convenient way to add caffeine and other functional ingredients to make the most of your workout. Read below about some of the common ingredients found in pre-workouts.
Health benefits of pre workouts –
- Increases physical performance.
- Prevents premature fatigue.
- Reduce protein breakdown.
- Increases focus during workout.
- Constant and maintained energy levels during workouts.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS–
some people cannot digest and adapt the pre-workout supplement, so they are recommended to consult a physician or coach. Some of the common problems are:-
- High blood pressure
- Tingly or prickly sensations.
Checkout more such content at: https://gogomagazine.in/category/lifestyle/